A full service instrument shop specializing in sales and service of marine compasses. Suppliers of genuine replacement parts for Danforth, Aquameter, Ritchie, Kelvin White, Dirigo and Star compasses
As a young man Charles C. Hutchinson served as an apprentice to F.W. Lincoln, Jr., a nautical instrument maker, math instructor, and great-grandson of Paul Revere. F.W. Lincoln and Company was located at 62 then 136 Commercial St in Boston. In 1858 Hutchinson became a partner with Lincoln and the business moved to 126 Commercial St. By 1883 Hutchinson bought out the business and renamed it Chas. C. Hutchinson Nautical Instruments. The business imported and sold nautical and surveying instruments,charts, marine glasses, telescopes and flags.It was located at 154 State Street from 1893 until 1932, when it moved to 175 State Street opposit the Custom House.
This 4" box compass has the name Hutchinson, Boston USA on the dial. It has many of the same details of the compasses made by Marine Compass Co. of Pembroke MA.
|3" Hutchinson CompassThis compass was made by the Hutchinson Company of Boston The Hutchinson Company was formed in 1883 and was located at 154 State St from 1893 until 1932 when it moved to 175 State Street opposite the Custom House where they continued business until 1940. Based on the design of the logo this compass was made in the 1920's. It is in perfect working order, the compass was completly overhauled, the gaskets and fluid have been replaced. It is complete with the original mahogany box with lid and original hardware. This compass sold for $595.00 July 2012|